This new product can’t be found on the Us Canon website yet as of March 2nd, but the German website lists 2 new speedlite flashes from Canon: there is a non-radio version of the new Canon top-flash listed, and it’s simply called “Canon Speedlite 600EX”, i.e. without the “-RT” ending.
The specs are the same as for the revolutionary Speedlite 600-EX-RT with built-in radio-control mode, except that this new wireless feature is missing. But don’t worry, you still have the established optical wireless flash mode, capable of controlling 3 groups of flashes using 4 channels.
This seemingly stripped-down 600-EX is still a big upgrade from the current Canon 580EX II, significantly improved in a lot of areas such as:
- much better user interface e.g. with direct buttons for wireless mode
- dot matrix display (instead of the small segment type LCD panel found in 580EX II)
- zoom range 20-200mm (rather than 24-105)
- new guide number of 60 (meters) at max zoom
- 61-point AF assist
- improved build quality (according to Canon)
There’s more to be said about this new pair of Canon speedlites in the coming days!